You can of course use LinkedIn as a job search tool using a free account. However, you may want to consider upgrading to a premium paid Job Seeker membership for the duration of your job search. This membership category identifies you as a job seeker and can help improve your visibility as a featured applicant, gain access to recruiters, make contact via InMail (direct messages), and see who’s viewed your Profile. Once you land your next position, you can revert to the free membership.
There are two options: Job Seeker ($29.95/month) or Job Seeker Plus ($49.95/month).
The sole difference between the two options is the number of monthly InMails provided with the membership: Job Seeker allows 5 and Job Seeker Plus allows 10. Most of our clients opt for the Job Seeker option.
- Paid profiles will always rank higher when organizations post jobs. You essentially become a featured applicant.
- You can turn on the “OpenLink” feature, which will allow other paid members to email you without depleting their monthly quota of In-Mails.
- There are some third-party recruiting applications, such as Social Job-Search Matcher or Bullhorn Reach, who may look at your paid membership as an indicator of your level of commitment.
Below is the product information provided by LinkedIn:
The LinkedIn Job Seeker Premium account gives you the tools you need to land your dream job faster. Stand out from other candidates, reach hiring decision makers, and get insider job search tips.
- Get the full list of Who’s Viewed Your Profile to learn who’s interested in your background
- Move your job applications to the top of the list as a Featured Applicant
- Send personalized InMails to hiring managers and recruiters at your target companies
- View detailed salary information for job postings to focus on the right opportunities
- Learn all the ways to use LinkedIn for your job search in our private Group and webinar